Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Black Irish (2007)

Black Irish is something special.



I really picked this one up because I have Irish blood and family ties in Boston.

Also, I noticed that the main character is played by Michael Angarano, whom I remembered from Lords of Dogtown (although his role in that was quite deplorable - in his defense, the whole movie was).
His father is played by Brendan Gleeson, who you may recognise from In Bruges (note to self: I need to make a post about this one) or from any of the memorable roles his played (to name a few: (Braveheart, Michael Collins, Gangs of New York, The Village, Harry Potter).
What an amazing guy, what on-screen presence.

I suppose he must be quite "present" off screen too.

Anyhow, the whole thing happens in South Boston.
South Boston is an amazing place, one of the historic US East-Coast classic neighborhoods.
Dirty bricked walls, dirty wooden walls, dirty narrow streets. The whole thing reflecting the sun as its rays strike on the surfaces soaked by the recent rain.
At least that's what it looks like in my mind.

It's a tale of two brothers, raised in a poor traditional black-Irish-catholic family.
One of them is good.
the other, ...the other is less good let's say.

And shit happens.

7.5/10 seems fair



NB: Lords of Dogtown has a 6.8 on IMDB. This, is not a reflection of reality, and no, I don't mean that it deserved more.

No comments: