Thursday, September 25, 2008

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986-1990)

Henry is without a doubt the most disturbing movie I've ever seen.



Well, there's Henry, and there's Audition from Takashi Miike.



Both movies are violent, but not that much, much less than any Rambo movie, or any Paul Verhoeven movie.

I just kept reading reviews about Henry, all of them great, all of them riveting.

I finally got a hold of it and boy oh boy.

As I started watching it all I could think is: "This is just a piece of crap". Acting seemed bad. Photography was bad. Filming was bad. There was no plot. nothing.

But, I had read such great things about it.

So, I held on.

As time goes by, you get swallowed by the movie.
The bad acting becomes more and more intense.
The Photography and the Filming actually feel like a documentary - You are IN the movie.
There is no plot. Because in real life, there is no plot. Things just happen.

More than physically violent (and it gets quite violent), the worse part, or should I say the best part is its rawness.
Henry is a Serial Killer. No doubt.
He just says things as they come to his head.
However as he kills, he seems to be professional, methodical, and to have some perverted sense of justice and morals.

His pal Otis, is a whole different case.
He has no morals
He has become addicted to the game of violence
But he has no method, no sense of direction.

The MPAA refused to give Henry a rating for over 4 years. It wanted to give it an X rating, but it doesn't deserve it, and yet they thought that an R rating was not enough.
This, for a movie that is less violent than half the movies of its time.
Probably, the guys at the MPAA simply got as disturbed as I.

Even Siskel and Ebert gave it a great review in 1990 (date of its final - limited - release in US theaters).
They say its a work of art, and that it deserves to be seen.

So there you go.
Who am I to go against Siskel and Ebert?



I hope you will enjoy this movie

No comments: