Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Descent (2007) vs Irreversible (2002)

Last weekend I watched Descent



It's the story of a beutiful girl who gets raped and gets her revenge.

It's all quite dark, and calm.

Rosario Dawson is gorgeous.
Going from prude, to traumatised, to angry, to sensual, to angrier

Only a few elements saved this movie
-the photography and filmography are really good.
-Rosario Dawson is great, I mean, she looks great

However
-the acting is overall just horrible.
-the reason you don't notice that the acting is that bad is because there is very little dialog. the movie is really saved because of its soothing visuals.

This movie got an NC-17 rating. Sure there is no gore, and no explicit sexual content. However, the ending of the movie requires a rather "open mind".
I am surprised it didn't get an R rating to be honest.

I will give it a 6.0 (6 is my passing grade), just because it managed to keep me entertained enough to watch it all the way through.
It's a good movie to empty your brain on.



In any case, it reminded me of Irreversible
Another movie about a hot girl getting raped.



I had never been a fan of Monica Bellucci until I saw this movie.
This usually gets me into trouble with all my female friends as they all keep ranting about how horrible the rape scene is, and how horrible the violence is.
But "it's a movie !!", it's "fiction", and I have almost never seen a woman be so attactive EVER!

This being said,
-yes the level of violence is particularly spectacular.
-the opening scene got me so dizzy I almost puked (camera movement along house walls). And I felt nothing when I watched Blair Witch Project in a theatre.

And, Irreversible has one of the BEST soundtracks in history.
Composed by Thomas Bangalter (the better half of Daft Funk)
Listen to the OST Here

In short, Irreversible is a must watch.
but I will conceed that it is a "hard" watch

I give this one an 8.
for:
-it's original narration
-the crude style. mostly steady cams, long one-shot sequences.
-monica bellucci's dress
-the music (if you're intro electro/french touch that is)

No comments: